Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tulip Time in Holland MI

After we left Tulip Time we went over to Saugatuck Beach on Lake Michigan.
Check out all the great Tulips behind Craig and Sophie. It was such a nice day too, cool and windy but not cold. I think the rain first thing in the morning was nice to help keep the crowds away!

This is about as much sun as we saw, but it was nice enough to have our picnic and watch the dancers and enjoy the flowers and the Art show.



Katie wasn't quite tall enough. Craig is holding Taylor up. Cute little Dutch kids!



Downtown Holland was a lot of fun. I'm excited to go back sometime and check out some of the fabulous little shops they have along there. It's only half and hour from our house and then the beach is only 15 minutes past Holland.




Yesterday we had a lot of fun visiting the Tulip Time event in Downtown Holland Michigan. I have been excited about this since we moved in. It's not as impressive as the tulip fields in the Pacific NW, but it was fun and alot closer to our current home!
We headed over around 9:30am and it was raining, but it cleared up as we got to a parking spot (free on the street). We had packed a lunch and had a picnic and bought some cinnemon roasted almonds and walked around the art show (the kids got Bug catchers) and watched the Dutch dancers in their costumes and wooden shoes.
After we had had our fill of the Tulips we hopped in the car and drove 15 minutes to the shore of Lake Michigan and played for a couple hours one the beach. We found a bunch of great skipping rocks and Craig all impressed us with his rock skipping skills and taught the kids how to skip rocks. I think all dad's must be able to do that! I still cannot and just throw a handful of rocks in at the same time to simulate rocks skipping.
It was a fun adventure. I love exploring new places. I think that next year my mom and Yaya need to come to Tulip Time too. Make your reservations now!





4 comments:

yaya said...

I'm glad you were able to make it to the tulip festivities! My good friend Joyce lives in Holland and would love us to visit. Craig might remember her and Tom when we went to Detroit to visit them.(Tom passed away 2yrs. ago)..so I'm all for a visit! Looks like the lake is a fun place to visit also!

Donna said...

Michigan's flowers are so beautiful!
Love the pic of the Dutch kids...how did Taylor grow to be taller than Katie???

donna said...

I'm in! It sounds like lots of fun. Think those cute little dutch kiddos will be there next year?

HowellAZ said...

Looks like a great time! Better than the dirt I see right outside my windows! Ha!
So I am planning an activity for mother/daughter in YW and wondered if you have any great ideas. I was thinking auction...???
Let me know!