Sunday, May 30, 2010

And the holiday hasn't even started yet!

The kids had Friday off for Memorial Day weekend so I begged Craig to take a day and we went to Warren Dunes State Park (near Michigan City in MI) to meet up with Robert and Laura and play at the beach. Taylor took a heart bite out of his apple in the car on the way to the beach (only an hour and a half). We had wanted to go camping, but of course by the time we coordinated which weekend to go, it was all booked up. We'll try for another weekend. It was an awesome place to go!

Katie was so plastered with sand the WHOLE time we were there! I don't know how she could stand it!
Sophie just chilled on the beach towel and even wore her sun hat. I was happy there was very little sunburning envolved.



Taylor had a great time playing in the sand and in the water. Laura got a great picture of the Taylor and Peter that you'll have to go to their blog to see, but this one is cute of our Little Man.


We had lots of fun playing in the sand. I was tempted to load a bunch in the car and haul it back for our sandbox!




Sophie didn't like the feeling of the sand on her. She stayed on the towel or fussed until somebody held her the whole time. It was nice to know that she wouldn't wander off though!





We buried Katie in the sand, she loved it!







Annie and Katie were brave enough to play in the FRIGID waters! It was literally like ice water! I convinced all the kids that the lake was frozen over solid just before we got to the beach (it felt that way).






We climbed to the top of this huge dune overlooking Lake Michigan. Taylor was the first one to the top and Katie was the first one to reach the bottom (running at full speed). I could have stayed up there for an hour. The view was spectacular and the temperature was perfect!









I couldn't leave without a pic of this cool tree. I loved all the exposed roots. Laura was nice enough to snap this for us. It was great because all the kids were strapped into their seats in the car so we didn't have to chase anybody around (this tree is next to the parking lot).








8 comments:

Steve and Hailey said...

Your pictures are awesome! I can't decide which is the best. I LOVE the pic of Annie and Katie. They are so pretty and obviously having so much fun. I'm jealous of the cute picture of you and Craig! I really like the picture of Sophie in her chair too!

The thing looks so fun and I wish I could have come. Nothing that fun will happen tomorrow...it's just another day for us, but someday after this summer we'll remember how to do fun things.

I keep feeling that the drive to your house will just make me want to live next door too! But I'm still SO excited to be within driving distance. I'm determined to plan well so I don't miss any opportunity to do things together.

Kent and Leisy said...

you look fab in the pics amy! I am so bummed we couldn't make it. this weekend has been so long - and not in a good way :) My sinuses are killing me and Ike has been up two nights in a row coughing and wheezing!! that beach looks amazing!! we will def be headed there soon :)

yaya said...

Wow, what a great time it looks like you had. The pics are wonderful and I agree with Leisy, you do look super! Of course I think the kids are just the cutest things going and I think Sophie's hat is hilarious. Can't wait to see you guys next week, have a fun day tomorrow too.

Phil and Amanda said...

Sophie gets cuter by the minute!! The last pic of you and Craig is ADORABLE!!

LauraJ said...

Love the pictures - loved the weekend more! We'll have to do it again soon - your family rocks!

Rachael said...

Well, I am so jealous I can't stand it. Our weekend away involved sprinkling, raining, clouds and a few hours of sunshine. But there is still a kind side to me that is really happy you had so much fun! I wish we were close enough to play together like that. And you look fabulous, as always! :)

yaya said...

P.S. I just had to comment again because Dad and I agreed on the last pic..We both took a second look because I swear you look taller! Your face is thinner or something..the new treadmill must be doing it's job..can I borrow it?? You both look adorable!

Donna said...

We took a couple of camping trips to the Dunes when the kids were younger with family friends...had GREAT fun!!!! Enjoy Michigan in the summer...it's awesome!! (Kathy is right...you both look great!!)