Monday, February 14, 2011

What's for dinner?


I discovered a recipe to Calzones (one of Craig's favs) and it's become a standard at our house. Here's the recipe:

1 1/4 c. water

2 tsp yeast

1 1/2 tsp sugar

3 c. bread flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp powdered milk


I usually use hot water and bloom the yeast with the sugar for about 10 minutes while I'm combining the rest of the ingredients. Then I use the dough hook on the kitchen aid to very briefly knead the dough. Next I roll out the dough into a 16x10 rectangle and lay it out on a cookie sheet (covered with foil and spinkled with coarsely ground cornmeal). You can use any toppings that you like. I like to use pepperoni, pizza sauce, chopped bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, mozzerella and parmesan cheese and dried italian seasoning. Cut the sides of the dough into strips and layer or braid the strips sticking them together with a pastry brush and water. Lastly lightly brush the whole calzone with melted butter and sprinkle on parmesan cheese, italian seasoning and a tiny bit of garlic salt. Bake in the oven at 350 for 35-45 min. We serve this with warm marinara sauce for dipping. Make sure you make enough for leftovers!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Looks fabulous...a pizza in a roll!! Yum!!

Rachel said...

These look fabulous. I'll have to try them. Love that you are posting food/recipes :).