Friday, April 16, 2010

I had the time of my life! (ya gotta love a good Dirty Dancing reference).

Cool Milton quote on the Chicago Tribune Bldg.

Night time view from our dinner table, not too shabby! (now you see why we had dessert when we weren't hungry (aside from the fact that that bread pudding was AWESOME).
Dinner looks good, huh? i think I liked the Salmon and the brussel sprounts best.



Here we are! Happy 10 yrs to us!



Day time view from our dinner table, navy pier.




View from our "Executive Suite". Pretty, huh?







After walking Craig through the Tiffany & Co. store for me (and asking Craig if he wanted to have breakfast there, which he was really confused about), we went to check out the ipad at the apple store.







(directly above) the Picasso sculpture. They still don't know what it is supposed to be(armadillo/horse?), but are grateful to Picasso for the gift.








Trump Towers. I think Craig would have preferred to stay here!








Cool Aqua building designed by a woman to resemble water, cool, huh?










The Shedd Aquarium, supposedly Atlanta's aquarium is bigger, but I liked this one better.











Soldier's Field (where the Chicago Cubs and the White Sox play.












Planetarium (gotta take Taylor here).












Field History Museum (really wanna take the kids here).















Navy Pier













Chicago river on Michigan St.



















Our Hotel "The Drake". LOVED IT!








Here are some pix of our trip to Chicago. Man, did we have fun! It was a trip to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. I have to say I absolutely LOVE being married to Craig. He's cute, he's funny, he's smart and so easy to live with. I can't think of anything that I don't love. He has an adorable way of being so straight-laced and traditional and conservative that I just love, but he's got a great sense of humor. He's thoughtful and kind and makes me feel safe. I remember when we were on our honeymoon how fun it was to just be away together. That still hasn't changed!








Thanks to the willingness of Craig's mom to watch the kids (at her mom's house in Chicago), we got to spend the night downtown. It was soooo much fun. I really love traveling and seeing new things! Thankfully for us we were blissfully unaware that Katie got sick that night until we got back on Saturday afternoon. We really are on house arrest. I'm trying to only remember the good times.








Anyhow, we stayed at the Drake hotel in downtown Chicago and even got a complimentary upgrade to an "executive suite" with a fabulous view of Lake Michigan!








We had dinner at the John Hancock, "Signature Room" and watched the sunset on the skyline. It was awesome. The food was fabulous. I'm still dreaming of those crunchy brussell sprouts. yum yum! I got the duck. Craig had the salmon. Then we had chocolate mousse and caramel apple bread pudding for dessert.








Then we walked the magnificent mile and came back to explore the hotel. It's so cool and historical!








The next morning we loved the breakfast buffet at the hotel. Almost as good as the breakfast at the Biltmore Inn. They even had little individual nutella's (I should have stolen some for Leisy).








Then we took the Hop on Hop off double decker bus tour, which included tix to the Sear's tower (now willis tower) and freebie popcorn from garrett's and freebie Hershey bars.








The Sear's tower was really cool. I couldn't believe what a big deal it was. For some reason, I didn't think it'd be such a big tourist attraction inside. It's almost like a museum and luckily for us the lines weren't long but it was obvious that they get EXTREMELY long.








After the tour we stopped in a couple stores on the Magnificent mile on our way back to our hotel and then drove back to Grandma Arends house.








I'm included TONS of pix for you all and for Hailey and Steve! So excited that they are moving to the windy city(which apparently is in reference to how loquacious Chicagoans are).

















11 comments:

Steve and Hailey said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't been bloggin for a bit. I LOVE the pictures! The picture of you and Craig is really good. Aren't you proud to look even better after ten years of marriage! Nobody is putting baby in the corner! Your food looks like a magazine spread. Yum! I can almost see a tiny Steve walking up the steps to the Field Museum! Love you!!!

Kent and Leisy said...

individual nutellas?!?! are you kidding? that is so cool .it looks like you guys had the best time EVER. I want a trip. a nice kidless vacation!! congrats. that craigo is a fabulous guy.

LauraJ said...

Too bad you guys didn't want others around for your 10 year anniversary party - it would have been fun to see you :) Ha ha! Looks like the weekend was awesome!

When you do go back to all those fun spots - we'd sure love to see you! The Museum of Science and Industry is another great one to add to that list of places to visit.

Donna said...

Love that city!!! You look like you had the times of your lives and saw it ALL!
The time we ate at the top of John Hancock, it was very foggy and cloudy...you had a GREAT view!!
Congrat on the anniversary! I remember your sweet wedding reception in Ashland 10 years ago...and here you are, 3 children later and happily ever after!!!

yaya said...

Boy do I love the city I grew up sort of in. (Oakbrook's only a hop-scip-and-jump isn't it?)I'm glad you were able to see so much in such a short time. My favs are the History Museum and the Art Museum.I saw the Beatles at White Sox park! Well, happy anniversary you two kids!

donna said...

Happy, happy Anniversary! You guys are a very handsome couple and it looks like you had so much fun! I want to stay at the Drake and eat fancy food too. Maybe when dad and I have been married 10 years... hey, wait a minute... :)

It sure is a good thing you have yaya. How would you do all these fun things without her?

Christina said...

I LOVE Chicago! That is so awesome that you guys got to go on a mini-honeymoon. You two deserve it. I can't believe you have been married for 10 years. Happy anniversary!

Rachel said...

I really like Chicago. And I like that you stayed at The Drake as I'm pretty sure it was the Drake in Chicago that they talked about in Mission: Impossible ;).

Rachael said...

You and Craig know how to have a good time like no one else I know. Could I pay you to plan an escape for us like that?! WOW! What gorgeous views, beautiful food and such a classy couple, too! Happy anniversary!

Kristen said...

Happy Anniversary! I feel like I was just reading about your 9th wedding anniversary trip, has it been a year already?! I love that you two go on trips alone to celebrate your anniversaries. I think I may have to adopt that tradition as well. Looks like you had a lot of fun, and good food!!

HowellAZ said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys! My mom peeked at your pics and thought they were good. What camera to you use?
Hers is a Sony - I think HD1080 - but not sure. My mom's saying "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." It took us a while to get that saying straightened out! Anyway, it seems like you guys had a lovely trip. 10 years...FABULOUS!