Monday, September 29, 2008

Happy Cows make better milk (or so they say)







Last Thursday afternoon Katie, Taylor, myself and some friends of ours from Katie's classroom toured a local creamery. It's called Happy Cow creamery. They have developed a system where they keep green grass in the pasture 12 months out of the year for the cows to graze on and this makes the cows happy because they like to eat grass the best and so their milk is better. They call it "12 Aprils" and have different grass planted each season so it stays green year-round. Pretty cool. Pretty great milk too and cheese. It was a fun little tour. Taylor really like riding on the tractor.

5 comments:

Derek said...

Lucky. I love cows and I love dairies even more. Did you get squeaky cheese? Wish I could have gone.

Kent and Leisy said...

thanks for the udder picture. I've got to see if we've got a dairy around here thst would let us take a tour!

yaya said...

Looks like an udderly lovely time!

Rachael said...

cows ARE great. there's something so homey about them, don't you think? I think I might be happy with 12 Aprils, but it's still raining here in April. Maybe 12 nice Septembers?

donna said...

Hey, that's cool. You do have all the fun!