Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Happy Happy Happy Anniversary!!!

You should search for the pix of this lighthouse on the website for Ludington, they are pretty spectacular!

This is one the way back I think! The wind and rain was a lot worse on the way back. Craig is such a good sport!



It was fun to hike out there. There was a warning sign on the lighthouse that said something about an "unexpected intense sound could happen unexpectedly". I was a little concerned the fog horn would sound and it would startle me off the platform into the lake 20' below!!! I didn't need to hang out out there or check out the little padlocked door!






Getting closer! (it's 1/2 mi. out into the lake).






Last weekend Craig and I got to run away to Ludington, MI (about an hour and 20 min North of us on Lake Michigan). I had booked a B&B through Groupon. It was so fun to get away, wonderfully quiet. The weather, as you can tell was really windy, stormy and cold, but it was fun to be all snug in the B&B with a fireplace and huge whirlpool tub (I really miss the one we had in our South Carolina master bath!). We left on Friday around 4pm and actually stopped at a place in the village for dinner. Then we drove up to Ludington and check into the B&B. After checking out the place and our room we went to a little ice cream shop. I was hoping for pie. They did have Cherry cobbler (Michigan is known for cherries) but when I ordered it they were all out. I was so disappointed. I got the apple crisp. It really didn't hit the spot.

It was fun to check out a new beach to visit this summer. There is a state park nearby and some other lighthouses I want to hike to and climb (nothing is open in Northern MI until May, just so you know!). I made Craig walk out to the lighthouse near the beach, but I didn't make him go the day we drove it, this is the next day when the weather was much milder (seriously).

The next morning we had a fabulous breakfast at the Inn and I was hoping to do a little shopping, but nothing looked interesting in their downtown, so after getting wet walking out to the lighthouse, we drove to Pentwater (I had been told they had a charming little downtown with cute shops). Most of it was closed as well, so we pushed on to Grand Haven. We had only visited the State park there. It was fun to scope out the downtown and the beach they have there. We enjoyed a really excellent lunch at the Rosebud and then stopped in a nearby candy shop to get some goodies for the kiddos.

We were so relieved to get home and get a glowing report from the sitter (nobody was sick! It was a miracle!). I wish we could do this atleast quarterly!









9 comments:

yaya said...

How fun! I forgot you guys were doing this. It looks like it might be more fun toward Summer, but hey, just being able to explore, get away and enjoy time together without kids is great. Happy Anniversary early! Unless, like Taylor's b-day, I've messed up that date too! I'm getting old!

Donna said...

Didn't you have a beautiful wedding with spring flowers in the background? Brrr! You look cold here!
We've been to ludington camping. It was so much fun, sat on that beach, walked that pier and saw the dunes (covering 8houses) there. We also got lost on the highway and made a BIG circle back to where we came from. Ha! Whenever we get lost now, we tease and say "are we back in Ludington"? In the summer all the streets have flowers growing by the streets, so pretty! Bet the B&B was really fun....happy anniversary!

Stacy said...

It is always fun having some couple time. It is nice knowing the eternal companion on a little more than Hi Hun how are you level, that sometime happens when occupied with children.

Happy Anniversary.

We really love Upper Michigan. When you get a chance check out Porcupine Mountains and the Lake of the Clouds! That is one of my most favorite places I've ever been. I have some pics on my blog from last July. But the pics don't do justice to what you can see with your eyes. Spectacular!

HowellAZ said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a fun getaway and you guys were troopers to walk out to the lighthouse. I am really looking forward to summer weather...maybe my sights were set too high for May, so I'll hope for June.

Rachael said...

I'm so glad you didn't get blown off that crazy pier. Scary! I'm glad that it was a great trip, even if shops were closed and they didn't have cherry pie (that sounds AMAZING right now - let's get together and eat some, okay?!) Happy Anniversary!

Steve and Hailey said...

That doesn't look so cold Craig! :) I like your boots Amy. Why haven't I ever seen those?

LauraJ said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like fun, even with cold weather and I'm super glad the kiddos stayed healthy!

yaya said...

I'm doing a P.S...I didn't see the Easter pics and snow pics..I'm blind I guess! Very cute and fun..although I did miss having you all here. But it rained buckets and we had to have it indoors. Only 2 kiddos so it was easy! I'm thinking of doing a Sat. one next year. We'll see. Hope to see you in May!

donna said...

Happy Happy Anniversary! In spite of the stormy weather I think it sounds fun.

Lucky, Lucky you guys!