Thursday, September 2, 2010

Old Amy learned a new trick!

I made it into Garlic bread to go with our Spaghetti when the missionaries came over.
Sophie is asking for "just one more piece"!


It was really good fresh out of the oven with homemade raspberry freezer jam or local honey from the farmers market.



Looks good, huh? I made 2 of these huge loaves. Should I have brushed it with butter before letting it rise the second time or do you put and egg wash on it like pie crust??? Or a milk wash??

I finally successfully made bread. I know plenty of people who make bread on a very regular basis, but I always rush the rising process and end up with "unleavened" bread and have never been very happy about it. Last week I got up my courage to try it again. Laura gave me an easy recipe and I was actually able to make it happen!!! My next goal is Parker House Rolls. I hope eventually I get as good at making bread that it will come as naturally as it does for Laura and Rachael!! (I may just keep making pies and cookies).

7 comments:

LauraJ said...

It's beautiful!!! It looks most excellent Amy!

Donna said...

It IS beautiful...and looks just yummy! Yes, to the milk wash, egg wash or just plain melted butter brush....all, make it glaze just a little. But yours looks just delish, bring some over for dinner???

Rachael said...

they are gorgeous! I like the egg wash for french bread, personally. Makes a nice shiny, chewy sort of crust. YUM!

yaya said...

I need to learn that trick too.. I'm horrible at homemade bread. Then again it would just make me eat it and that would not be such a great thing for me either! Well, yours looks really yummy and I know you'll be a real bread whiz soon!

Chris Howell said...

Forget the bread.... I have to meet that daughter of yours someday...she wins the blue ribbon at the county fair for cute....

PS Please sir may I have some more?

Ch

donna said...

I want to learn the bread trick too, although Kathy has a point, I would be the one to eat it!

Good job Amy!

Laney said...

you need to post the recipe!!!!