Monday, August 30, 2010

Frederik Meijer Gardens

Katie is a bird in a bird nest sitting on her eggs.
Fountains to play in!


This reminds me of a huge tower of rock candy.



It's amazing how huge the green house is! That's where we saw the butterflies! You remember that post?

I love that they have all this colorful blown glass out in the garden like it's exotic flowers!




We finally made it to the Frederik Meijer Gardens. They are really close and actually we did go to see the butterflies in the Spring, but just not out into the scuplture garden because it was snowing that day. Anyhow, I went ahead and got a family membership. It's such a cool place to go!





The Children's garden is so fun. They have a place to excavate for dinosaur bones and a huge water table shaped like the great lakes and so much to see and do. In addition to that they have some great exhibits. You can see the pix of the Chihully blown glass exhibit throughout the garden as well as inside. They also have a video talking about the artist and how the glass is made.





In the winter they have a Christmas tree exhibit and in the spring the butterflies and I'm sure more stuff throughout the year. As you can tell I'm really excited about it!! We're thinking when our family comes out in October that we should bring everybody here!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Neat garden!! I have seen Dale Chihully's traveling exhibit down at the Franklin Conservatory in Columbus...many pieces amongst the plants, that were just amazing! That man is super creative, AND colorful!!! Good post!

yaya said...

Looks like a really fun place to visit and I love Katie on the eggs! I can't get over how grown up she's looking and those long limbs of hers! See ya soon!

donna said...

I want to come! It looks like so much fun.

Did Katie get those eggs to hatch? She does have really long legs!

Rachael said...

oh, that is so cool. I need you to move out here so you can find all the neat things to do right here in our hometown. Because I suspect that it isn't just the great places you've lived, but your knack for hunting out super cool family outings! :)

Carrie Jeffrey said...

what a fun place! jealous!